Remote Online Notarization for the state of Ohio
What are the Remote Online Notarization Requirements for those in Ohio?
We're so glad you asked. A notary public in Ohio can perform an online notarization if:
- A notary public with an active commission in Ohio may perform electronic notarizations without any additional authorization
- An electronic notarization is an in-person act where the procedures remain the same
- The requirements include:
- Personal appearance
- Verifying the identity of the signer
- Competition of the notarial certificate by affixing the notary’s electronic signature and electronic seal to the certificate
- You can use virtual technology to be “present” rather than be physically present.
- To perform an online notarization, a notary public must be authorized by the Secretary of State’s Office
- To do this, the notary public must file an online authorization application showing proof of the completion of a 2 hour education program, passing a test and stating the name of the online notarization system/vendor to be used.
- All notaries authorized must be legal residents of Ohio, although the signer can be outside of Ohio or even outside of the United States.
How can I become a Notary in the state of Ohio?
- An online notary public has the authority to perform any notarial act as an online notarization
- An electronic document notarized through an online notarization shall be considered an original document
- An online notary public shall not take or certify a deposition as an online notarization.
- Online notarizations may perform online notarizations only if both of the following conditions are met:
- The online notary public is a resident of Ohio
- The online notary public is located within the geographical boundaries of Ohio at the time of the online notarization
- A notary public may perform an online notarization by means of audio-video communication in compliance with this act and any other rules adopted by the secretary of state for any principal who is located within the territory of the US
- A notary public may perform an online notarization for someone outside of the United States if both of these conditions are met:
- The act is not known by the notary public to be prohibited in the jurisdiction in with the person is located
- The record meets any of the following:
- Is part of a matter that is to be filed with or is before a court, government entity, or other entity located in the territorial jurisdiction of the United States
- Is part of a transaction substantially connected with the United States
Why should I use online notarization?
Although online notarization really came to be as a result of COVID safety concerns – it’s really one of those things that will leave you asking yourself, “huh, why didn’t I think of that”? But, above all, it also keeps a better record than a traditional notary process. Identifications are verified digitally through technology and recorded. Meetings and documents are recorded and store. The digital seal that signs off on all notarizations and accompanies the documents, decrease the possibility of documents being tampered with, reinforcing the legitimacy.
Is online notarization legal?
Sure is! In 2011, with the passage of House Bill 2318/Senate Bill 827, Virginia became the first state to authorize its notaries to notarize documents remotely via live audio-video technology. Since then, numerous states have passed laws authorizing their notaries to perform online notarizations. To date, more than 29 states have enacted remote online notarization. Due to COVID-19, states that have yet to enact RON or otherwise make their RON law effective have emergency short-term measures in effect. You should contact the agency that will receive your e-notarized document to ensure your document will be acceptable for its intended use. We’d like to help with general information wherever we can, so let us know of any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Astrean can help you!
Astrean is the most user-friendly and cost-efficient SaaS remote online notarization (RON) tool in the market, Astrean manages the full online notarization process from the training of notaries to transitioning to an online notary experience.
Businesses and notaries can enjoy the 24/7 convenience of remote online notarization, with all the tools needed to educate, track, schedule and record the remote online notarization process within one easy-to-use dashboard. Astrean leverages dynamic knowledge-based authentication (KBA) and AI-based facial recognition algorithms to accurately identify and monitor notary participants, meeting the highest standards for identity verification, full audio-visual communication, secure video storage for at least 10 years and encrypted digital notary certificates.
Additionally, Astrean’s notary platform helps notaries with all their notary tasks to make them more efficient and generate more business with tools such as an electronic journal. The electronic journal streamlines the notaries’ legal recording responsibilities, by automatically linking and adding details from remote online notary transactions. Astrean’s built-in scheduler allows clients to digitally schedule notarization appointments, while giving notaries an efficient view of their daily calendar. Interested in learning how Astrean can make your life easier? Great! Fill out the form below to connect today.
How to get started with Astrean:
At Astrean, we’re here to help make remote online notarization as easy as chewing gum. With Astrean, RON transactions are just like old-school notarizations, but so much better and faster! Plus, with all the e-tools to manage your online notary transactions, you'll wonder how you've done it without a tool like Astrean for so long.
- Schedule or Quick Start: Start an online notarization at any time or schedule it for a future time.
- Identity proofing and validation: Automatically validate proof of ID from every state and verify identities, as needed.
- Record the notarization process: Automatically record both your audio and video event, saving it for the next 10 years.
- Digital signatures & certification: Issue a digital notarization certificate and auto save to your journal.
More Questions, Ohio?
We're here. Ready, willing and able to help. Connect with us here, or by clicking the 'chat' icon in the bottom right hand corner. A real life human, with an invested interest in your success is waiting to assit.